The role holder will provide legal support to the various functions of the Bank by providing general legal advisory services, drafting and reviewing contract agreements, participation in debt recovery processes and strategy and dispute resolution.
- Offer by email and telephone on spot legal advice to all the Bank operations and distribution networks and service channels such as CB, DIB, Credit, HR and Operations;
- Offer well researched and practical legal opinions and solutions to the business segments and functions of the Bank to ensure compliance with all the legal and regulatory applicable legal regimes;
- Liaise with and guide the Credit Documentation and Special Assets Management units in the Credit Department in matters relating to credit, security perfection, pursuing and processing all bad debt recovery strategies; such as issuance of statutory notices, repossession of assets and commencement of the security realization process and recovery through the most appropriate, effective and efficient debt recovery mode;
- Make and respond to legal demands and communications to and from the Bank such as Court Orders, intentions to sue, letters and in so doing foster alternative means of resolving queries raised to mitigate costs and fees involved in the process of litigation and contingent liabilities.
- Receive Court papers instituting cases against dfcu and process the same by securing supporting documentation and instructing Counsel to defend the Bank. Liaising with external Counsel on the lead times of the Court processes and regularly meet to agree on strategy.
- Attend Court where dfcu is sued or is suing as a representative of the Bank to ensure and monitor the proper legal representation of dfcu by external Counsel;
- Participate in all related meetings, mediations and support external Counsel in preparation for trial by availing supporting documentations and the material witnesses by seeking consensus with senior management on the strategy to be employed in the pursuit of a particular matter.
- Share lessons learnt from the Court processes.
- Peruse all contract proposals, offer letters, letters of intent to confirm that the services indicated in the proposal letters, offer letters or letters of intent are the services required by the Bank.
- Confirm and approve terms and conditions under which services are proposed to be offered as meeting the Bank’s procurement processes and needs.
- Ensure that the persons or the parties with whom the Bank contracts with have capacity to contract
- Follow up and ensure that all the service providers comply with their bargains and deliver their services/goods in accordance with all the contract terms in order to achieve value for money.