The Senior Legal Officer will draft and review legal documents including pleadings, contracts, credit facilities and securities, provide legal advice, conduct research and represent the Bank in Courts of Law in line with divisional standards and targets on legal risk management and best practice standards.
Key duties and responsibilities include;
- The jobholder will peruse Court pleadings and notices of intention to sue served on the Bank and liaise with the relevant units to provide accurate information on counterpartys claims/allegations, evaluate the Banks rights, possible defences, etc., and ensure timely action including representation in Court as the case may be as well as propose appropriate strategy to enforce the Banks rights or obtain the desired end.
- Draft contracts for loans and advances, procurement of goods and services by the Bank. Enforce the Banks rights and protect its interests under various transactions including but not limited to financial agreements, Lending and Collateral agreements with its borrowers, supply agreements, services and intellectual property agreements, consultancies, tenancy agreements, etc.
- Keenly review and perfect documentation of approved credit facilities in accordance with applicable laws, Bank Policy, disbursement standards and guidelines. Review and compute statutory duty and fees payable on Instruments and other registrable securities and documents and ensure their perfection through timely registration in accordance with the applicable laws, Bank Policy and set Service Level Agreements.
- Work in close liaison with immediate supervisor arrange for regular sessions between in-house and external counsel to ensure good and proper management of litigation and securities perfection processes and demonstration of required progress by External Counsel in line with agreed Service Levels.
- Prepare and submit periodic reports on legal suits by and against the Bank and on Securities Perfection Turnaround Times, conduct trend analysis thereof, Benchmark Bank performance and costs and recommend legal risk mitigation strategies and competitive practices as the case may be.
- Conduct legal research and provide legal advice on the likely impact of draft bills and new legislation on the Banks operations and business, and therefore new compliance standards and requirements.
- Review investigation and incident reports and findings and make recommendations for appropriate legal action to redress the Bank.