• Master’s degree in related subject
• A certificate in Fundraising and Resources Mobilization Management
• Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is an asset
Knowledge, skills and abilities
• Minimum 5 years proven professional experience at a senior level with solid experience in both traditional and non-tradition funding sources along with communication
• Must have good a good network within the funding community and knows how large funders such as DFID, USAID, SIDA work in development along with philanthropic funders
• Experience in business development with the ability to function entrepreneurially and identify new prospects and create new funding relationships. This is not a position in which the funding is already-identified renewals that carry over year-to-year. The entire budget must be raised anew each year, and we require a candidate that does not shy away from that challenge
• Experience in the humanitarian and development field is necessary and also business exposure
• Experience leading all aspects of development, with special emphasis on major donor campaigns
• Experience with successful corporate appeals, event planning, direct mail, foundation approaches
• Exceptional writing and public speaking skills
• Ability to work effectively and independently outside a traditional office setting without support staff and with minimal supervision
• Highly organized
• Extensive experience leading development campaigns, volunteers, committees, and development staff
• Knowledge of relevant fundraising standards
• Ability to meet deadlines, manage competing priorities and maintain quality of work
Proficiency in the use of computer for:
• Development software
• Word processing and PowerPoint presentations
The Development and Communication Director should demonstrate competence in the following:
• Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve the finances of the organization and to create new opportunities
• Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure own behaviour and the behaviour of others are consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
• Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
• Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Focus on Donor Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
• Foster Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolves problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
• Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
• Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
• Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
• Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.